Monday, May 7, 2012

Tool #2



Blogs are a great resource for Tech ideas in the classroom.  PLNs are a good way to always have new ideas or help with finding resources.  By commenting as well as reading comments, only expands your network.  Many comments give ideas as to how to troubleshoot as well as suggest other resources that may work as well.  Making a comment makes me a little nervous.  I do prefer the anonymity of a screen name instead of my own name.  My comments tend to be adding something to the discussion, maybe a suggestion specific to ELA or a trouble shooting tip.  Usually very functional.

I have been using Diigo for quite some time and find it very useful to be able to access my bookmarks anywhere.  It also allows you to create lists of bookmarks specific to a subject or concept.  Symbaloo is also a good resource to use for curating sources.  Instead of a list, you create icons.  It also allows you to create pages dedicated to a specific subject or concept as well. Another good reason to move bookmarks to the web is that you can access them on any kind of device.  I can access my Diigo account on my PC, my iphone, ipad and Mac laptop.  Symbaloo doesn't have an iphone app yet, but it works on a Mac computer.  It is a way to allow kids access on any device without a problem. 

A blog that I plan to follow is www.freetech4teachers.com
The guy that manages this is an animal.  I have no idea how he has a job alongside the enormous amount of work he puts into this Blog.  It is very useful when trying to integrate tech into a classroom.  

5 comments:

  1. I love your comment about being more tech literate than you expected. Blogging is great because the exchange of ideas is key to the synergistic enhancement of the learning environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to recommend a blog and a site you might find appealing.
    The blog is yabookscentral.blogspot.com. There are book reviews and opportunities to sign up for free books. One of the free books being offered this month is BITTER BLUE by Kristin Cashore! Netgalley.com is a site that allows educators to receive digital galleys of a wide range of texts from a variety of publishers. I've been very pleased with some of the YA galleys I've had the opportunity to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion about using Diigo and www.freetech4teachers.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Richard Byrne is some kind of blogging animal! It is amazing to see what can actually be accomplished in various classrooms with this tool. Thank you for sharing his blog with the rest of us so we have something to strive towards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word. The resources you mentioned are great. Diigo is a good one and I use it with colleagues that I work Remix stuff with. The mobility of edtech is certailny something of note.

    ReplyDelete